‘Wellbeing’ is the state of being comfortable, healthy or happy, and ‘Holistic’ relates it to the whole person. So Holistic Wellbeing is about bringing every aspect of your ‘being’ back into equilibrium and restoring balance to every area of your life.
Holistic Wellbeing begins by looking at every area of your life to discover which ones need attention, to bring you back into balance and harmony. Once we you have determined which areas require attention you have several options:
A normal person’s identity is weak, distorted and incomplete because it excludes much of [their] potential.
Wellbeing is Multi-Dimensional
Holistic wellbeing is multi-faceted or multi-dimensional, because we are multi-dimensional beings. We are not just our body and our mind – we are heart and soul as well. Keeping every aspect of our being healthy, nourished and satisfied helps to ensure that our entire being stays healthy, balanced, happy and fulfilled. The different aspects of our being have different requirements or needs, which relate to our seven chakras:
- Physical Needs: Air, Food, Water, Money, Warmth, Clothing, Shelter, Safety, Security.
- Energetic Needs: Exercise, Rest, Relaxation, Sleep, Nutritious Food, Sexual Release.
- Social Needs: Friends, Family, Belonging, Support, Group Membership, Hobbies.
- Emotional Needs: Connection, Intimacy, Love, Joy, Compassion, Peace.
- Expressive Needs: Creativity, Self Esteem, Being Seen, Heard, Valued and Validated.
- Mental Needs: Intellectual Stimulation, Accomplishment, Status, Respect, Recognition.
- Higher Needs: Growth, Meaning, Purpose, Freedom, Meditation, Self Inquiry, Spirituality.
Rebalance to Reconnect
When the various aspects of our life are in balance, we feel more balanced, positive, relaxed, resilient, happy and fulfilled. The more of our ‘being’ that we are consciously connected with, the more present and whole we feel, so of course we feel better. This simple undeniable truth is so often overlooked in modern life, as we strive to do more, achieve more and acquire more, but in doing so we lose contact with what really matters – our Self, our soul, our being.
Wellbeing relates to your whole being, so make sure your heart and soul are getting as much attention as your body and mind.
Positive emotional energy is the key to health, happiness and wellbeing. The more positive you are, the better your life will be in every area.
Positive Psychology and Wellbeing
Our level of wellbeing is not solely dependent on our life circumstances. According to Positive Psychology, it is also about the way we view ourself and the world. Here are a few principles from Positive Psychology that have been proven to contribute to increased wellbeing:
- Happiness is mostly dependent on our state of mind, not on our wealth or status, so try to stay positive.
- Our level of wellbeing is determined by what we choose to focus on (i.e. the full or empty half of the glass), and by our interpretation of external events (e.g. if we see failure as a catastrophe or a learning opportunity).
- Happiness is found at the intersection between pleasure and meaning, so engage in activities that are enjoyable and personally significant. If this isn’t possible, do a few things that provide pleasure and a few that provide meaning.
- Accept your emotions (without judgement). Sadness, fear, anxiety and anger are natural, and we are more likely to overcome them if we accept them. Rejecting our emotions only increases our suffering.
- Simplify your life. These days we are all too busy, and quantity adversely affects the quality of our lives.
- The mind-body connection. Exercise, sleep and healthy eating lead to physical and mental health.
- Express gratitude whenever possible. Don’t take things for granted. Learn to appreciate and savour the wonderful things in life.
- Get out into nature regularly, even if it is just sitting in your back garden with your feet in the grass.
- Walk and talk with a good friend, because it combines exercise, nature, connectedness, compassion, support and depth.
- Volunteering or helping a good cause is a great way to feel good and do good at the same time.